I know, I know, slow cooker carrot cake doesn’t exactly sound mouth-watering, but trust me, this cake is one of the most delicious, moist, decadent cakes I’ve had in a long time. The best part – it’s healthy, low in calories & take mere minutes to make.
This clean eating approved carrot cake is a great way to sneak vegetables into your kid’s diet. The typical store-bought carrot cake is NOT a good source of vegetables, vitamins or minerals. Rather they are filled with sugar, dehydrated carrot pieces (in very small amounts), trans fat and refined flour. This cleaned up version has one cup of freshly grated carrots, sugar-free applesauce, flaxseed and spelt flour. Parents can quickly throw these ingredients in the morning and have a delicious, hot cake waiting for them after dinner.
Whenever I create healthy breads, cakes or treats, I use buttermilk, kefir, sugar-free applesauce or Greek yogurt to replace the fat. I also like to add flaxseed for added fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Healthy Slow Cooker Carrot Cake
- 1 cup freshly shredded carrot
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 ¼ cups spelt flour
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup raw organic honey
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup strawberry kefir
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Spray a small crock-pot with non-fat cooking spray
- Mix flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, & salt in a bowl.
- Combine egg white, flaxseed mixed with water – Mix well.
- Add raw honey, applesauce, kefir and vanilla and stir until blended.
- Combine flour mixture and applesauce mixture, fold in carrots and raisins. Add pecans.
- Pour mixture into slow cooker and cover with four squares of paper towels, Bake for 2 to 2 ½ hours on low.
- Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey