Partner that with my love of seafood and exposure to the most delicious array of crab dishes in Boston and I just knew I had to whip up some healthy crab cakes.
Crab cakes aren’t inherently healthy. Typical crab cakes are filled with mayonnaise, butter and bread and are fried in oil. I lightened mine up with minimal effort and I think they are even more delish than their oil-laden cousin.
Give them a try and let me know what you think. They whip up in minutes and are simply delish.
- 1 ½ Tbsp. fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat panko (in crab cake)
- 1 lb. lump crabmeat
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko (for coating)
1. To prepare crab cakes, add all ingredients, except for ½ cup whole-wheat panko. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Remove from fridge and form into patties. Pour whole-wheat panko on paper plate and lightly coat crab cake in panko on both sides.
3. Place on baking sheet in a 350 degree oven. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 8 minutes.