It’s week two of the Paleo Challenge and my palate is getting a little bored of chicken breasts, broccoli and spinach. I decided to kick it up a notch and attempt a recipe a saw on Paleo Grubs, with a few tweaks to meet my needs of course!
Paleo Grubs had lots of recipes for paleo pizzas made with a cauliflower crust, so I combined several of the recipes into one that I felt would deliver the most flavor while still being, “Paleo-ish”.
Many of the recipes I saw called for almond flour or coconut flour, and I really didn’t want to use any flour in the recipe. I found one that called for a cup of mozzarella cheese, but since cheese isn’t “Paleo” I didn’t want to use that much. Instead I used half the amount of cheese and used a combination of parmesan cheese and 75% reduced fat Cabot Light Cheddar. This produced an amazingly delicious, crisp and firm crust. I also know that turkey pepperoni isn’t technically “Paleo” either, but it’s certainly better than the alternative: Pizza Hut.
All in all, this pizza was absolutely delicious, grain-free, diabetic-friendly and healthier than take-out. I was skeptical over the cauliflower crust, but I actually liked this pizza better than a traditional pizza! Try it and let me know what you think:
Pepperoni Paleo Pizza
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup 75% reduced fat Cabot Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 12 turkey pepperonis
1.Pre-heat the oven to 450
- Grate the cauliflower in a food processor. Make sure it is grated, not pureed.
- Steam cauliflower in the microwave for five minutes. Drain and squeeze out all excess water.
- Mix cauliflower with the 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of the cabot cheese, egg and seasonings.
- Shape the pizza into a round disc on a pizza pan
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes
- Top with the tomato sauce, 1/4 cup cheese and turkey pepperoni
Broil on low for 5 minutes